This is a prospective, non-interventional study of pre- and post-vitamin D high dose supplementation.
Baseline blood samples will be collected from all participating MS patients for vitamin D testing and immunological assays. Those with deficient vitamin D will be given a high dose vitamin D supplementation as per usual clinical practice. Those with normal vitamin D levels will maintain their usual care. Patient's immune and cognitive function at baseline and after 3 months will also be measured. Subjects will be handed a diary on which they will document their ingestion of food known to be rich in vitamin D.
Multiple Sclerosis patients visiting the MS Center
- Treatment with immune modulating/suppressive drugs other than interferon beta within 6 weeks prior to enrollment
- History of primaty hyperparathyrodism, hypercalcemia, renal dysfunction, cardiac disease, malignancy, granulomatous disease
- Occurrence of an exacerbation (defined as an episode of neurologic dysfunction lasting at least 24 hours) within 4 weeks of enrollment
- History of dementia or related disorders
- History of traumatic brain injury
- Diagnosis of epilepsy or history of seizure
- Diagnosis of psychiatric disease, substance or alcohol abuse/dependence
- Currently on Lithium or Thiazide diuretics