The aim of this study is to analyze all blast victims who presented to our institution in the last 8 years. Our analysis will include:
1) Characteristics, mechanism and types of blasts we encountered.
2) Distribution of our patients according to age and gender.
3) Classification of the injuries of each patient according to the type, severity and body region involved.
4) Types of imaging done on each patient in the emergency department.
5) Long term outcome of each victim in terms of mortality or morbidity.
Study design: Retrospective chart review study
All blast injury patients presenting to our ED over the period extending between January 2005 and December 2013.
retrospective chart review of all cases that contain the chief complaint
‘blast’ and/or ‘explosion’ injury will be reviewed during the period from
January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2013. All data will be entered in Microsoft
Excel. Means and standard deviations will be calculated for the age. The
absolute numbers and percentages will be presented for the gender, nature of
injury, year of injury, classification of injury, type of imaging done, patient
disposition and mortality outcome.
All blast injury patients who presented alive to our ER and were evaluated by our physicians.
All the blast injury victims who were dead on arrival, as obviously these were not evaluated and we cannot classify their injuries.